BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
Brentford Councillors - Stephen Walker
IntroductionJanet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.
Stephen WalkerMr Walker was an early member of Brentford Local Board and his name is on the dedication stone at the Sewage Pumping Station built in 1883.
He was born in Leatherhead and in the 1841 census was living with his parents, George and Sarah. George was a carpenter as was his older brother, another George. Stephen was 12 and he had a younger brother and sister.
In 1851 he was living in the household of Joseph BRADLY who was a commercial traveller in High Street, Old Brentford near the GOMM family. (Close to Pump Alley which runs(ran?) south between numbers 69 and 70 High Street)
In the March quarter 1853 he married Maria WINKLEY (West London 1c 141) and by the 1861 census they were living at what would seem to be no. 79 High Street, the western corner of Dock Road.
He was 32 and a ‘clerk in timber yard’. His wife Maria was 30 and had been born in New Brentford. They had a son Stephen Arthur aged 6 whose birth had been registered in Brentford in April 1854 and another son, Walter Winkley who was 5. They were both born in Brentford. There was also one servant.
They were still in the High Street (no. 79) with a daughter Minnie (3) in 1871. Stephen is described as ‘Manager to Timber Merchant’ and there were 2 servants resident.
The 1881 census shows they had moved to Park Lodge, Boston Road.
In 1883 he was a member of Brentford Local Board and was an Executor of the Brentford Timber Merchant James Montgomrey. At time of his death in 1891 he was a partner in the timber company and his home in 1861 (79 High Street) was near the timber depot.
He died in his office on 23.1.1891 aged 62 with the notice of his death in the Middlesex Independent making it clear that although he was very highly regarded he and the editor (W.H. Jackson) had regularly disagreed with one another in their work on the Local Board.
He is buried with his wife Maria (11.10.1830 -2.3.1884) in South Ealing Cemetery. This is also the grave of his son, Major Stephen Arthur Walker 20.4.1854 – 19.11.1918 with mention of his wife, Ellen. Reports of both their funerals were in the Middlesex Independent newspaper.
There is a memorial in the chapel at St Paul’s Church Brentford which would seem to have been in another position before there church rebuild. It says:-
’10 March the Will of Stephen Walker late of High Street and of Park Lodge Brentford in the County of Middlesex Timber Merchant who died 28 January 1891 at High Street Brentford was proved at the Principal Registry by Stephen Arthur Walker of Hughenden Windmill Road Traveller and Walter Winkley Walker of Park Lodge Mercantile Clerk the Sons and John MEYERS of Boston Road Brentford gentleman the Executors Personal Estate £20,686.3.10d. Re sworn April 1893 £20,886.3.10d’.
His elder son, Major Stephen Arthur Walker had died in a Nursing Home in Ealing on 19th November 1918 and is buried with his parents in South Ealing Cemetery, The report of his funeral in the Middlesex Independent on November 27th 1918 gives his address as Denham Lodge, Ealing and Hughenden, Worthing.
The principal mourners were his daughters and his brother and sister in law. His son Lieut. S Walker was on active service.
There was a large contingent of Ealing cadets. Major Walker had been their commanding officer.
There is also a memorial in St Paul’s Church for his son Walter.
Other materialJanet has also provided photos of his gravestone, a photo from his time of serving as a councillor, an example of his signature and accounts of his death and funeral from local newspapers. To be added as time permits.
Page published April 2011