Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News
Occupations Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pub Hub Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford

Brentford Councillors - Lewis Harry Hewett

Introduction

Janet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.

Lewis Harry Hewett (1871 - 1945)

In March 1923 seven men stood for election to the Brentford District Council. Mr Hewett was in independent candidate who the Middlesex Independent reported had had ‘experience of serving the ratepayer, having been a member of the Old Brentford Burial Board for a great many years. His practical experience of many subjects pertaining to the details of local self-government should tell strongly in his favour, and with him economy and efficiency go hand in hand.’ It was thought that he would be an appropriate successor to Mr James Clements who had decided to retire. His address was given as 33, Clifden Road and he was a stonemason.

He came third in the poll with 733 votes although it was reported that he was handicapped by ‘conveyances the use of which he had relied on, and had they been at hand in the forenoon more of his supporters would have polled. He is a thorough businessman, and his inclusion among the Council members should be of distinct advantage’.

All Councillors served on the General Purposes Committee and in 1923/4 Mr Hewett was on the Baths and Housing & Town Planning Committees and was the St George’s Schools manager.
In March 1924 it was reported that he had attended 50 out of a possible 51 meetings and his name is on the stone commemorating the opening of Boston Manor Park to the pubic by Lady Cooper later that year. In 1924/5 he was on the Finance, Housing & Town Planning and Joint Water Board Committees and the school manager for St Georges Schools.
In March 1925 it was reported that he had attended 70 meetings out of a possible 77.
In 1925/6 he was on the Finance, Market, Allotments, Housing & Town Planning and Parks and Open Spaces Committees and continued as school manager for St George’s Schools.

He was due for re-election in April 1926 and was proposed by James Clements, T. Selby Henery (the Vicar at St Georges Church), Harry F Davis, William Flewitt, James Henry Clements, William Buck (see below), Rhoda Agnes Buchanan, G Challis, E C Jones, C W Howard and seconded by T Stallabrass, Robert B Dand, Alfred J Gooding, Thomas Uren, F.G. Remnant, James Rugg, William Parker, W T Foulkes, R Seymour and W F Brawn.
His address was given as 33, Clifden Road and he was described as Monumental and General Stonemason.

There was a great deal of apathy on election day.
The Middlesex Independent reported that there was little sign in the town that an election was taking place and only the candidates and their supporters were about.
The headline was ‘Brentford’s Apathy’ pointing out that out of an electorate of 7,813 only 2040 people had voted.
Mr Hewett gained 613 of these and to general surprise came 5th and was not elected.
It was reported that he was not discouraged and would come forward again next year although this doesn’t seem to have happened.

Top

***********************************

In 1871 his parents, Harry and Rose were living 5 houses east of the George and Dragon PH and next to a bakers shop in Brentford End.
Harry was a stone mason aged 25 and Rose was 24.

Lewis Harry’s birth was registered in the June quarter 1871 Brentford 3a 44.

In 1881 the family were living at 87, London Road, Isleworth which may have been the same property that had been numbered. Lewis was 9 years old and a scholar and they had a 2 year old visitor (Florence Turner) who had been born in Hampden, Bucks the same place as Rose so perhaps a relative of hers.

In the 1891 census Harry (45), Rose (44) and Lewis (19) were living at 5, New Road and Lewis and his father were both Masons.

Since 1882 it seems his father had been in partnership with George Henry William Lamb. When Mr Hewett (senior) died it seems that Lewis continued the partnership.
Mr Lamb was a member of the local Council early in the 20c and died in 1909.
(See Councillor George Henry William Lamb 1863 – 1909). The report of Mr Lamb’s death and funeral mentions Mr Hewett, lists flowers from him and his wife and his daughters and calls him Mr H Hewett.

Lewis was married in Liskeard, Cornwall in the September quarter 1896 5c 81 and in the 1901 census was living at 69 Hamilton Road with Kate (30) born in St Clear, Cornwall and their daughters Hilda Frances (3) and Winifred Rose (3mos)
Hilda Frances had been born 21.6.1897 and baptised 26.7.1897. Winifred Rose was baptised 29.12.1900. Both were at St Paul’s Church and the entry in the register is on the ancestry website.

I can’t find Mr Hewett in the 1911 census but Kate, in that census was living at 33, Clifden Road.
She shows herself as married for 15 years, having had 3 children and that 2 are still alive. Hilda Frances was 13 and Winifred Rose 10.

The ancestry website lists Lewis Harry Hewett on the Electoral Registers for a number of years. In 1906 his address is given as 33, Clifden Road and states that he has half share of the freehold premises at the corner of Ealing Road and New Road. This continues through 1912 and 1915 and from 1918 it’s described as ‘Monumental Works, Ealing Road’.
Kate is also on the Electoral Register from 1919.
By 1930 they had moved to 196, Ealing Road, South Ealing which is 2 properties south from The Ealing Park Tavern on the corner of Carlyle Road and in the Borough of Ealing.

Hewett Lewis Harry of 196, Ealing Road died December 9th 1945.
Probate London June 11th to Hilda Frances Hepburn (wife of Lawrence Hepburn) and Frederick Alfred Beininer accountant and auditor. Effects £12,675.5.6d.

December quarter 1945 aged 74. Brentford 3a 347.

Kate Hewett of 196, Ealing Road, South Ealing, Middlesex widow died March 2nd 1953 . Probate London 10th June to Albert Edward Buck Company Director and William Buck Company Secretary. Effects £1119.5.3d.

Registered Ealing 5a (or c) 93 March quarter aged 84.

Other material

Janet also provided photos showing 5 New Road and area. To be added as time permits.

Top

Page published June 2013