BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Councillors - Edward Charles Jones
IntroductionJanet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.
Edward Charles Jones (1859 – 1946)There is an extensive family history on this website with information about Mr Jones' barge building company and the boats they built.
Copies of much of this information is also in Chiswick Library Local Studies.
According to this the 1881 census shows him at 17, Catherine Wheel Road as a Boarder aged 22. He was a Journeyman Barge Builder born in Brierley Hill, Birmingham.
The 1901 census shows him as a Stationer at 99, High Street aged 42 with Jemima (42), Sarah (14) and Edith (11) both born in Islington and Edward G (10) born in Brentford.
In 1919 Teddy Jones stood for the District Council.
He was shown as a barge builder living at 99, High Street.
He came top of the poll with 1,122 votes and proposed the vote of thanks to the Returning Officer and his staff for ‘the careful and capable manner in which they had conducted the duties of counting’.
His name, as a member of Brentford Urban District Council is on the houses on the corner of Ealing Road and Challis Road built in 1920. The Chairman at the time was Mr Forrester Clayton.
He continued with regular letters to the newspaper saying in 1920 that ‘Mr Phillips may be a good school master but not much good as a Councillor’ and accusing him of being spendthrift. Other favourite subjects for correspondence were the High Street improvements, or lack of them, Carville Hall Park and Brentford Market.
Edward Charles Jones of 5, Brent Road, The Butts died May 31st 1946 at West Middlesex Hospital. Probate to Edward George Jones shipbuilding and lighterage contractor . Effects £5,311.17s.
His son continued with the business and there are articles in the Brentford & Chiswick Times from the 1950s to the 1990s about different aspects of the business and what was being built. In 1957 one describes how they were building pusher tugs upside down. This had been invented in 1948 and one of these tugs is in the Canal Museum north of Kings Cross, London (2011). In 1982 they were building the largest vessel built in the Thames since the 1940s. In 1983 they were building a ferry vessel and had orders for 3 boats in 1986. Business was reported to be booming in 1990 when they had a contract to build a river bus terminal at Rotherhithe but in August 1992 the company closed down due to the recession at the time and the last boatyard in Brentford was closed.
(Since then, though, other yards have opened).
Other materialJanet suggests there are more details in local newspapers and in the Council Minutes at Chiswick Library Local Studies. There are also biographies prepared by Janet for most if not all of the councillors noted above.
Page published April 2013